Thursday, March 01, 2007

My Favorite is Britain's Favorite

AFP: 'Pride And Prejudice' voted Britain's best read---

LONDON (AFP) - Jane Austen's "Pride And Prejudice" topped a poll of Britons' 100 favourite books released Thursday, indicating that classic novels are still most people's idea of a good read ahead of modern offerings.
[. . .]
In the rendering of "Pride and Prejudice", actor Colin Firth won the hearts of millions of British women with his portrait of Mr Darcy, including a notorious scene in which he emerged from a lake in a wet shirt.

The 1813 novel has also been filmed for the cinema several times, the most recent being a 2005 version with Keira Knightley and Donald Sutherland, and a Bollywood make-over in "Bride And Prejudice", starring Aishwarya Rai.

Its opening sentence, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife," is one of the most famous in English literature.
My favorite film adaptation is the 2005 version.

Also on the list are a number of my other favorites: Rowling's Harry Potter, Tolkien's LOTR, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Jane Eyreby Charlotte Bronte, Shakespeare's Complete Works, and, of course, the Bible.

Go read Pride and Prejudice!

4 comments:

Dapoppins said...

I thought I commented over here! Those are all my favorites too! I have to say that I prefer Shakespear's comedies to the tragedies. And Darcy in that wet shirt, oye! Set my girlish heart a flutter. Tried to get my husband into a shirt like that...he thought it was much too cold and there might be leeches in the water!

Vic said...

I'll take Mr. Darcy any way I can. I really don't care who plays him, I fall in love with the character each time.

Anonymous said...

the bible, shakespeare, jane eyre, pretty much any jane austen, and tolkien-they're all favorites of mine as well as dickens, spenser, donne, and lewis (there are probably a few more but i cannot remember all of them). keep reading!!

Lady Jane said...

I prefer Shakespeare's comedies, as well, Dapoppins. I think my favorite is The Taming of the Shrew. My favorite P&P film is the 2005 one, but I do appreciate the 1995 one. Leeches! Scary!!!

I couldn't agree more, Ms. Place. I fall in love with Mr. Darcy every time!

I don't think I could ever name all my favorites, Tresspassers William, and I will never stop reading!

Thank you all!