Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ship For Sale

I'll take! Especially if it comes with Horatio Hornblower (aka Ioan Gruffudd) aboard. Well, I wish, at least.

the Daily Mail (UK): Yours for £3m - one replica 18th Century frigate---

Are you bored by your Learjet? Fed up with your private island? Then why not splash out on a full-size replica of an 18th Century British frigate, complete with 12 cannon? One care- ful owner and an absolute snip at £3million.

The Grand Turk is the ultimate millionaire's plaything. I know because I built her.

She was commissioned by ITV for the Hornblower series starring Ioan Gruffudd in the title role and Robert Lindsay, and was the first wooden frigate to be built for more than 150 years.
Isn't that amazing?!

We finished the ship, which we named the Grand Turk, in August 1997, at a cost of £2million and only a month late. She was a magnificent sight: a ship Nelson himself would have been proud of, and we were anxious to set sail for Yalta.
[. . .]
Hornblower premiered on ITV that autumn and was a huge critical and popular success. Since then, the Grand Turk has been used for sailing events, corporate or private charter, and receptions in her spacious saloon or on the deck. But now I'm putting her up for sale for £3million because I am retiring.

She would make a fantastic toy for a rich business- man and, of course, taking her out on the waves is an experience like no other. There's messing about in boats - and there's piloting the Grand Turk.

I will be sad to let her go - she is a wonderful reminder of how great the British Navy once was, and she draws crowds wherever she goes.

God bless her, and all who sail in her.
How I wish I could afford to purchase The Grand Turk. It is a magnificent ship. Use the link to see some pictures or, better yet, buy the Horatio Hornblower dvds and see The Grand Turk in action! Magnificent!

4 comments:

LA said...

Hello! I'm your partea swap partner. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm very excited for this swap.

Cheers! LA

www.the-pink-kitchen.blogspot.com

Lady Jane said...

Hi, Leigh Ann! Thanks for visiting! I am quite excited about this swap too!

Have a lovely day!

Dapoppins said...

Oh, gee. If only I had 3 million around somewhere! What a dream.

Lady Jane said...

Same here!!! :) If only! lol